Niagara Pride, Inc., a community service LGBTQ+ organization servicing all of Niagara County, NY, will be hosting the first of a series of virtual Community Provider Lunch and Learn Zoom presentations starting on February 19, 2021 from 12:00pm to 1:00pm.
The Lunch and Learn series will run on the 3rd Friday of each month, from 12:00pm to 1:00pm.
Niagara Pride has invited various community providers to present on the services they offer, whether they provide specific programming to the LGBTQ+ community or if the provider is affirming of the LGBTQ+ community. Each Lunch and Learn will have approximately 3-4 representatives from various agencies, providing attendees with information about their agency and their services. Attendees will have opportunities to go into separate breakout rooms within Zoom to ask the providers more specific questions. Attendees who opt to not go into the provider breakout sessions will have an opportunity to meet and socialize with fellow attendees in a safe and welcoming environment.
Given the wide range of needs that LGBTQ+ individuals and families have, Niagara Pride has scheduled providers from various fields, including:
· Medical Services (primary care; family heath care; transgender health; reproductive health; HIV/AIDS testing, treatment, and prevention)
· Mental Health Services / Addictions Counseling Services
· Domestic Violence Services
· Food Pantries / Homeless Shelters
· Employment Services (employment assistance; resume reviews; job placement services; career training; LGBTQ+ career networking)
· Educational Services (literacy training; skill development; tutoring)
· Spiritual Services (LGBTQ+ affirming ministries)
· LGBTQ+ Youth Services
“Our organization has held in-person health fairs in the past, where the the focus as been to showcase community providers who offer specific services to the LGBTQ+ community. They were very successful and well attended. However, in 2020, we were not able to do this due to COVID-19. As an organization, we wanted to find a new way to not only continue this yearly event, but also find ways to incorporate other community resources and providers who are desperately needed by individuals, but may not traditionally be seen at a health fair,” stated Ronald Piaseczny, JD, LMHC (President – Niagara Pride, Inc.)
Current schedule of providers:
· February 19, 2021 (12pm-1pm): Center for Elder Law and Justice; Niagara County Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services; Community Health Center of Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Cheektowaga; First Unitarian Universalist Church of Niagara Falls
· February 27, 2021 (12pm-12:30pm – Special Session featuring youth providers): GLYS Western New York, Inc.; Youth Link & Be PrEPared Programs
· March 19, 2021 (12pm-1pm): Pride Center of WNY; Heart, Love and Soul; Horizon Health Services
· April 16, 2021 (12pm-1pm): The Breast and Prostate Peer Education Program at Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center; US Social Security Administration; Trans Health Care Services – Evergreen Health Services; Booker College Planning (a program designed to help students and families navigate the college admisssions process)
· May 21, 2021 (12pm-1pm): Salvation Army of Niagara Falls; Western Problem Gambling Resource Center; Save the Michaels
· June 18, 2021 (12pm-1pm): Elderwood; Venture Forthe, Inc.; Mental Health Association of Niagara County
· July 16, 2021 (12pm-1pm): LGBT Veteran Care – US Department of Veterans Affairs
· August 20, 2021 (12pm-1pm): City of Niagara Falls Office of Economic Development (presenting on information related to business and industrial development in the City of Niagara Falls, as well as on small business development)