By Jen Siegel, (www.OnceUponaChef.com)
Ingredients (one 9-inch cake, 8-10 servings)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing the pan
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk (low fat is fine)
About ¾ pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 9-inch deep dish pie pan or 9-inch square cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat on low speed until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, and beat on low speed until smooth. (Note: the batter will be thick.)
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula (if you use a square cake pan, the batter will only come about 3/4-inch up the sides of the pan — that’s ok). Arrange the strawberries on top, cut side down, so that they completely cover the batter (the recipe calls for approximately 3/4 pound of strawberries; use more or less if necessary). Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the strawberries.
- Bake for ten minutes, then reduce the heat to 325°F and bake until the cake is lightly golden and a tester comes out clean, about an hour. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Nutrition per serving (10 servings)
Calories:241, Fat:8 g, Saturated fat:5 g, Carbohydrates:40 g, Sugar:25 g, Fiber:1 g, Protein:3 g
Sodium:185 mg, Cholesterol:38 mg