Niagara County, NY – With Pride Month only a few weeks away, Niagara Pride is hard a work finalizing the details on all of their month-long series of activities aimed at promoting and celebrating the LGBTQ+ community throughout Niagara County and WNY.
June 1, 2022:
- Pride Flag Raising Ceremonies throughout Niagara County – beginning at 9am, Niagara Pride will be on hand with local government officials and community partners to help raise the Pride flag at various locations throughout Niagara County
- 9:00am – ArtPark in Lewiston, NY
- 10:30am – Niagara Falls State Park in Niagara Falls, NY
- 12:00pm – Niagara Falls City Hall in Niagara Falls, NY
- 2:00pm – Lockport City Hall (new flagpole near the Canal Bridge) in Lockport, NY
- WNY Shopping With Pride – this month long event is designed to highlight locally owned LGBTQ+ and ally businesses and merchants. Niagara Pride encourages everyone to support and shop at the participating merchants. To find out which businesses are part of WNY Shopping With Pride or if you would like to register your business as a participant, go to www.wnyshoppingwithpride.org The Buffalo Sabres, M&T Bank, and Fidelis are all official proud sponsors or WNY Shopping With Pride!
- WNY Pride 5K – this virtual 5k event can be done anywhere, anytime during the month of June 2022. Individuals who participate will get a t-shirt and a medal. This is a great way to get together with friends, family, coworkers, or others and complete the event. Registration fee is $45 and to register, go to www.wnypride5k.org The Buffalo Sabres are the official proud sponsor of the WNY Pride 5k!
- Niagara Falls Illumination – this year, the waters of the majestic Niagara Falls will be lit up in the Pride rainbow colors to celebrate Pride Month from 10:00pm to 10;15pm on June 1st.
June 11, 2022:
- Newfane Family Fun Pride Day – join Niagara Pride and Calhoon’s Pub in bringing Pride to Newfane with the 1st ever Newfane Family Fun Pride Fest. Bring your family, friends, or just yourself to this laid back and fun event designed to celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride. Enjoy entertainment and lawn games. Food will be available for purchase at Calhoon’s Pub. Superheroes from the Justice League of WNY will be present. Event runs from 12:00pm to 3:30pm. Location: 2598 Main St, Newfane, NY
June 18, 2022:
- Oliver Street Pride Fest – the Oliver Street Merchant Association is bringing back the Oliver Street Pride Festival this year to North Tonawanda; representatives from Niagara Pride will be on hand along with love entertainment, crafters, artisans, food vendors and more; Event runs from 11:00am to 5:00pm at Heritage Park on Oliver St., North Tonawanda, NY.
June 25, 2022:
- Niagara Falls Family Fun Pride Day – join Niagara Pride in bringing Pride to Niagara Falls, NY with the 1st ever Niagara Falls Family Fun Pride Day. Bring your family, friends, or just yourself to this laid back and fun event designed to celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride. Enjoy entertainment and lawn games. Superheroes from the Justice League of WNY will be present. Event runs from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Location: 140 Rainbow Blvd. (on the grounds of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church), Niagara Falls, NY.
- Pride Interfaith Service – Niagara Pride will be hosting a Pride focused interfaith service as part of the Niagara Falls Family Fun Day. Clergy and spiritual leaders from various dominations will be on hand to deliver the service and will be available to answer questions about their places of worships and the work they are doing to reach out to the LGBTQ+ community. The Interfaith Service is from 11:00am to 12:00 at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 140 Rainbow Blvd., Niagara Falls, NY.
Niagara Pride is a 501(c)(3) non-profit which serves LGBTQ+ individuals and families in WNY. Their agency relies on primarily on donations to provide services and they have no paid staff. Some of the services Niagara Pride offers include:
- Know Your Status campaign to help provide sexual health and wellness materials for free to individuals as well as share information about HIV and STI testing in all 8 counties of WNY
- Niagara County LGBTQ+ Community Needs Survey – a yearly comprehensive survey which looks at challenges and barriers faced by the LGBTQ+ community when accessing health care, housing services, legal services, and other community providers
- WNY LGBTQ+ Youth Vocational Conference – to teach youth life-long job seeking skills
- LGBTQ+ Scholarship Program for high school seniors pursuing higher education
- Diversity and Inclusion Trainings – Niagara Pride offers trainings to local businesses, agencies, and organizations for a nominal fee
- And in partnership with other agencies, Niagara Pride has been able to offer groups/services for addictions, breast and prostrate cancer screenings, housing discrimination assistance, and support for LGBTQ+ Veterans