Why Should I Consider Donating Plasma?
Prometic Plasma Resources Answers Your Questions
By Todd Cleckley
- What is plasma? Plasma is the clear yellowish fluid portion of the blood that transports water and nutrients to all the cells in the body. It is composed of approximately 90% salt water and 10% protein and electrolytes. Plasma contains many specialized proteins (antibodies) that aid in fighting infections, and can be used to make life saving medical products.
- How is my plasma collected? Plasma is collected through an automated procedure called plasmapheresis. Plasmapheresis is the process of removing whole blood, then separating the cellular components from the plasma. The concentrated whole blood components are returned to the donor, and the plasma is retained for use in creating plasma-derived medications.
- Why should I donate? Your plasma is greatly needed. Plasma is not a substance that can be replicated in a laboratory or some other artificial environment. It can only be obtained from healthy adults. When you donate plasma, you are helping improve and save lives.
- Is all plasma the same? No, plasma can differ in the types of antibodies it contains.
- How do I know if I can donate? You must be 18 years of age or older, weigh at least 110 pounds, and be in general good health. You must also live within a 50-mile radius of our center in Amherst, NY.
- How long does it take to donate plasma? Your first visit will take approximately two and a half hours, and will include a physical exam conducted by a member of our medical staff prior to your donation. Subsequent donations will take approximately one to one and a half hours.
- What do I need to bring to my first appointment? You will need to bring a valid photo ID, your social security card, and proof of address i.e., a utility bill or lease.
- How many times can I donate? You may donate plasma twice in a 7-day period, with at least 24 hours in between donations.
- How much money can I earn by donating plasma? Plasma donors can earn up to $500 per month, and those who have recovered from COVID-19 can receive up to $800 per month.
To learn more about plasma donation and how you can make a difference in the lives of others visit us at https://plasma.prometic.com or call 716-579-0449 to reach our Amherst location. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Todd Cleckley is the Marketing and Communications Specialist at Prometic Plasma Resources.