Windsong Update June 29, 2020 – Keeping Patients Safe and What To Expect During a Visit
As our healthcare community has transitioned toward a new normal, Windsong is working hard to meet the needs of patients in our community. We all understand that the extended delay of certain preventive screening exams may be more harmful than the risk of COVID-19 and we are maximizing efforts to keep our patients S.A.F.E. with the following extra steps:
- Social distancing
- Additional screening (temperature taking/interviewing)
- Facility safety (masking of patients and staff)
- Enhanced disinfecting
Patient Visit Protocol
- To protect our vulnerable patient population, we ask that patients who have recently returned from a known COVID hot zone are asked to quarantine for 14 days prior to their exam.
- Windsong is currently unable to accept patients with a fever, recent onset of cough, or flu-like symptoms.
- To limit exposure, we request that caregivers stay in the car unless they are absolutely required for patient assistance.
- Temperatures are taken at each location and patients are required to wear masks.
Screening Mammography Update
To meet the important cancer screening needs of our patients, we are accepting screening mammography appointments. Our workflows have been significantly modified to greatly enhance patient safety and we have revised our breast cancer screening process to protect patients, our staff, and our entire community. In an attempt to minimize risk to all and decrease overall time in the facility, Windsong has temporarily discontinued in-person results. Instead, patients will receive written results in the mail within a week. If anything questionable is identified, patients will be recalled for the necessary additional testing.
Windsong would like to reassure patients that when supplemental screening, such as breast ultrasound/sonogram is ordered, it is done as an additional added layer of assessment. This additional screening measure is taken to ensure that everything is normal and is often needed in women with dense breast tissue. Dense breasts are normal. 40% of women age 40 and over have dense breasts. More information on dense breast tissue can be found at windsongwny.com.
- Screening mammography – in-person results are on hold in order to minimize the time patients spend in our office; patients will be mailed results within a week.
- Diagnostic mammography – We recommend that patients with a current breast problem schedule diagnostic breast imaging services immediately.
- MRI, CT, PET/CT, Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound and X-Ray.
- Chest X-Rays resumed by appointment ONLY.
- Interventional and vascular services including vein treatments – resumed May 18th.
- Telehealth consultations are available.
- Genetic counseling appointments are available in person and for some patients via telehealth.
- Genetic testing – After genetic consult is complete, genetic testing kits can be sent directly to patients.
- Breast Surgical Care has continued uninterrupted.
Due to the high demand for services, hours at each Windsong location are subject to change.
To schedule an appointment, please call 716.631.2500