Big Italian Salad
By Jennifer Segal
Ingredients: (Serves 6)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heaping ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (or 3 hearts), washed, dried, and cut into large, bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup seeded and chopped hothouse cucumbers
- 1 to 2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
- Handful grape tomatoes, halved
- Handful pitted olives
- Feta cheese crumbled to taste
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor to blend.
- Place all of the salad ingredients except for the cheese in a large bowl. Right before serving, add about half of the dressing and toss well. Add more dressing little by little as necessary; be sure to dress greens very generously, otherwise salad will be bland.
- Toss in the cheese, then taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
For more great recipes visit www.onceuponachef.com.