by Alexa Joan (www.alexajoan.com)
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into small ½ inch cubes
½ medium onion
1 small bulb of garlic
1-2 tablespoons oil
10-15 fresh sage leaves, sliced (chiffonade)
½-1 teaspoons dried thyme
half a bouillon cube; 1T soy sauce; OR 2T nutritional yeast
½ cup raw or roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
salt & pepper
zest & juice from Lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit,
- Cut the top of the garlic head off (about ⅓ of the way down) and place on baking sheet with the butternut squash, onion, sage, and garlic.
- Drizzle the vegetables with oil, season with salt and pepper and stir until they are all coated.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (rotating the pan ½ way through) until squash is cooked through and caramelized.
- Check the garlic to see if it is soft, and if not add 5-10 minutes to your timer.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and generously salt it, and cook pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- Reserve about ¾-1 cup of the pasta water for the sauce before draining.
- To a blender add sunflower seeds, roasted garlic (cloves squeezed from their skins), thyme, bouillon cube, non-dairy milk, reserved pasta water, and blend completely until completely smooth.
- To a heated pan on medium low, add your pasta, sauce, and vegetables and gently stir.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste, and finish with some lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.