Courtesy of Spa400
As we transition to cooler weather, making some changes to our health and wellness habits can help us to stay healthy and happy, including how we care for our skin.
“Just as skin requires certain protection during the heat of summer, skin also has special needs in the Fall and Winter,” says Liz Schmitt, Spa Manager at Spa400. Cold and dry Fall and Winter weather is particularly challenging for people with dry or sensitive skin. Schmitt and the medical professionals at Spa400 offer the following tips to help people maintain their skin’s appearance and health.
- Don’t skip the sunscreen. Sunscreen is not a summer-only requirement. UV rays can damage the skin any time of year, even if the rays are not as strong as during the summer. UV radiation accelerates and increases the risk of skin cancer, and also leads to premature aging. Utilize a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day.
- Add moisture. Dry, cold temperatures can rob the skin of essential moisture, even indoors. Use a humidifier at home to boost the amount of moisture in the air. Drink plenty of water and consider an overnight serum for winter.
- Skip hot showers. While it is tempting to sit under a hot stream of water to warm up, hot water dries out the skin by depleting its stores of natural oils. Take warm showers instead, and don’t stay in for longer than 15 minutes.
- Exfoliate. Exfoliation can help remove dead skin, a practice many people ignore. Be careful though, because overdoing it can make already sensitive skin more irritated. Increase the time between exfoliation treatments. Consult with a skin care professional about dealing with flaky skin.
- Don’t forget your lips and eyes. Using a thicker moisturizer on the body and face can help add and retain moisture. But don’t forget your lips and eyes. Keep lips moist by using a lip balm liberally to help prevent chapping. Invest in a quality eye cream to help the delicate skin around the eyes.
The professionals at Spa400 emphasize the importance of making modifications to skincare routines during seasonal weather changes. They also want to make people aware of their Jan Marini Skin Care Management system, a supervised medical skin care program that is tailored to the needs of each individual to produce measurable and visible improvement of many skin conditions, including acne, scarring, discoloration, rosacea, fine lines, wrinkles, and other skin concerns.
Spa400 treatments include refresher facials, organic facials, back facials and detoxification, vitamin C facials, clarifying acne treatments, anti-aging regeneration, skin-tightening, laser hair removal, and more. So, as we approach the holiday season, why not surprise someone with a gift that they might not otherwise give themselves?
Learn more about Spa400, the Spa400 VIP Club, and Spa400 gift certificates at www.spa400.com. Spa400 at Invision Health is located at 400 International Drive, Williamsville 14221. Make an appointment online, or call 716-631-1516.