Cheesy Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Ingredients (4 servings)
¾ cup crumbled firm tofu (about 4 ounces)
½ cup ricotta (about 4 ounces)
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan (about 1 1/2 ounces)
¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
1 large egg
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 pound ground chicken (or turkey)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium red bell peppers, cored and sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch-thick
3 cups marinara sauce (about 24 ounces)
6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
Pasta of choice
- Heat oven to 375o F.
- In a large bowl, combine tofu, ricotta, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Add chicken and gently mix to incorporate. Lightly wet hands to prevent meatball mixture from sticking, then roll into 24 (1 ½-inch) golf ball-size rounds.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium.
Add bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce and meatballs, and stir gently to coat the meatballs in the sauce. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to the oven to bake until meatballs are cooked through, 20 minutes.
- Top with provolone slices, slightly overlapping, and bake until cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, if using, and serve meatballs, peppers, and sauce over egg noodles or other pasta.