by Allison, CelebratingSweets.com
- 5-6 cups sweet cherries, pitted fresh or frozen thawed (see note)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour OR 3 tablespoons if using frozen cherries
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- vanilla ice cream for serving
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, gently stir together all filling ingredients (make sure you read the notes regarding fresh vs frozen cherries). Transfer to an 8×8 baking pan and spread into an even layer.
In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and melted butter and stir until fully combined. The mixture will resemble a cross between a crumb topping and a sugar cookie dough.
Press pieces of the topping together with your fingers to form flat irregular shaped pieces. Place the pieces of topping all over the top of the cherries. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the cherries are bubbling around the edges and the topping is light golden brown. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for about 20 minutes. The juices will thicken up a bit as it cools..
Calories: 272kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 76mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 312IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg