- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off with a knife
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (ok to substitute natural cocoa powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee (optional)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, gently packed (you’ll need about 2 medium zucchini; do not wring out the liquid)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350oF, and grease an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the butter in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl and microwave for one minute, or until just melted. Stir in the brown sugar until completely smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, and stir until incorporated.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and instant coffee (if using) in a medium bowl. Add to the butter mixture and stir until well combined. It will be very thick.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean (save for perhaps a smear from the melted chocolate chips). Let the loaf cool on a rack for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
Note: Bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. After it is completely cooled, wrap it securely in aluminum foil, freezer wrap or place in a freezer bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Nutrition: (Per 16 ½ inch slice serving) 231 calories, 10 g fat, 33 g carbs, 21 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein