Spiced Apple Muffins
By Jennifer Segal (www.onceuponachef.com)
Ingredients: (12 muffins, 25 minutes cook time)
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed (reserved for topping)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (not Greek-style)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off with back edge of knife
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off with back edge of knife
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Heaping ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups peeled, cored and finely chopped baking apples (you’ll need 2 large apples)
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with butter, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg and mix well, stopping to scrape the bowl if necessary. Beat in the yogurt. The batter will look grainy.
Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Beat on low speed until just combined. The batter will be very thick. Add the chopped apples and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Spoon the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. The cups should be full. Sprinkle the 6 tablespoons of brown sugar evenly over top and bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove the muffins from the oven, cool them for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
Nutrition: (Serving size:1 muffin)
Calories: 221, Fat: 9g, Saturated fat: 5g, Carbohydrates: 33g, Sugar: 16g, Fiber: 2g, Protein:4 g, Sodium: 207mg, Cholesterol: 37mg