Tori Brooks’ Braided Bread
a pandemic favorite!
4 cups bread flour, divided
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar
½ cup water
½ cup milk
2 tbsp butter, diced
2 tsp salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 egg yolk mixed with a few drops milk and extra flour for dusting
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups of flour, sugar & yeast, and whisk to combine.
- Heat the water, milk & butter in a small saucepan over low flame until lukewarm and slowly
pour over the flour mixture, stirring to combine and let rest for 10-15 minutes, until sticky dough starts to rise and gets a spongy texture.
- Attach the dough hook to mixer and mix the dough slowly on low speed adding the lightly beaten eggs & salt. Slowly add the remaining 2 cups of flour.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium-low and knead the dough for 5-6 minutes, or until the dough cleans itself from the sides of the bowl. If too sticky, just add a little bit more flour. The dough should be soft and elastic.
- With greased hands, remove the dough from the mixing bowl, and place in a buttered bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature at least an hour, until doubled in volume.
- After rising, divide the dough into 3 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each into a 15” rope.
- On a floured baking sheet, braid the ropes, pinching the ends and tuck them under to seal.
- Cover with plastic wrap again and let rest for a second time for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Brush the top with egg wash (1 egg yolk whisked with a few drops of milk) before baking and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before slicing.